Blog

Monday, November 21, 2011

color scheming.

It has taken me forever to come up with the color scheme for our house. Well, maybe not forever, but nearly 4 months. I wanted so badly to paint as soon as we moved in. The colors in our house aren't ugly, per se...just kind of blah ones. The living room is butter yellow, the kitchen is really pale blue, and most of the other rooms are either white or sort of an awkward mauvy-putty color. Oh, how I wanted to paint...but my mom said, "Wait Elizabeth! You don't know for sure what you want now. You have to get to know your house first." and, of course, as always... mama knows best :)

Our house has its own little fun personality. It's really charming. There's wrought iron, high ceilings, real hardwood floors, not one but two fireplaces AND an amazing archway connecting the living room and dining room.


Please ignore that hideous chandelier.

Now that we've lived here over 3 months, I feel like I've finally gotten to "know" the house. Cheesy? Maybe. Oh well. I always have and always will continue to personify, well, everything.

Our house is not a bold, "look at me" house. It's not a really fancy house. It's got too much history to be super modern. Our house (to me) is a bit shy and lovely at the same time, with little treasures throughout that make it special (yes, I will probably weep when we eventually move).

That being said, here's the basic color pallet (with a few extras thrown in) that I've chosen for our home.



So, the main things to note are the neutral colors (grey, brown, cream) mixed with some soft accent colors (warm yellow, soft aqua, various shades of green). Not so much the rusty colors. This color collection is called "Rustic Refined" by Sherwin Williams. We aren't using these EXACT colors, but we're going for the same feel. Stone colored walls with little pops of aqua. A soft yellow dining room + our awesome rustic-y table from World Market.

And I'm carrying it throughout the house. This is the kind of house that just flows really well, so although every room won't be matchy-matchy, they'll all have the same soft, neutral-yet-pretty vibe.

I can't wait to see how it all comes together!

p.s. Thanks to my sweet and creative friends Lauren and Kersta who were at my house last Wednesday and helped me solidify my paint choices :)

1 comment:

  1. I am really impressed with the light fixture... looks great!!! And I have enjoyed reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete